Looking to call
our phone number?

Sales: 0800 012 4125

We can call you back

Support: 0845 557 7427

Existing Client Login

Why don't we show our phone number?

Our aim is to give you the lowest possible prices for your booking. We don't have expensive call centres so we can pass on these savings to you.

Book online quickly and easily

Our online booking system is quick, simple and easy to understand.

CSCS Test & Card Booking

Group Booking (3 or more people)

Apply for a Construction NVQ

How can we contact you?

You can contact us by sending an email to support@constructionsupport.co.uk, or you can contact us. Existing clients can call 0845 557 7427 for customer support enquiries.

We will call you back

x Close
Your Name:
Phone Number:
Department: Call Me Back >>
Thank you, a member of the support staff will be calling you shortly.


x Close

This site uses cookies. We have already set cookies which are essential for the operation of this site.

Cookies are small files that get saved to your computer from our website.They help us identify your browser's previous activity and preferences on our website without identifying you personally.

This allows us to improve your user experience while maintaining your own privacy.

Health & Safety Test Every person wishing to work on a construction site in the UK needs to pass a health and safety test. Passing is also necessary to apply for a skill card such as a CSCS card.
Book Health & Safety Test…
CSCS, JIB Cards Required by most construction sites, skill cards show your qualifications skills, and health & safety test pass.
Apply or Renew Your Card…
Construction NVQ Get your NVQ while at work with our on-site NVQ assessment. A qualified assessor will come to your workplace to assess you.
Book NVQ Assessment…
Free Mock CSCS Test We are offering a completely free mock CSCS Test at our South East London offices. Test you health and safety knowledge in exam conditions for free!
Book your Mock CSCS Test…

NVQ and SVQ for Construction

NVQ and SVQ are used by the construction industry to provide a measurable qualification of competence in most skilled trades and construction related occupations. The NVQ and SVQ are divided into Levels, with Level 1 being the entry qualification and level 4 and higher corresponding to management skills.

The NVQ and SVQ for Construction are divided into job and trade specific courses.

A large proportion of the 350 plus trades that have been identified by the CSCS as requiring construction health and safety training are covered by full NVQ or SVQ courses. Where a trade is not covered completely by an NVQ or SVQ, it is likely to be addressed in an individual module.

Why Do I Need an NVQ or SVQ for Construction?

Qualification in an NVQ or SVQ for construction is imperative if you want a career in the C&D industries. With over 80% of British construction sites requiring the possession of a CSCS card or equivalent for all site workers, you won’t get onto most unless you either have your NVQ or SVQ, or are enrolled in a course of study. The CSCS Smart Card, and its trade equivalents (there are equivalent cards for electricians, HVAC employees, hazardous material removal agents and PEMS), are only awarded to construction employees conforming to one of these two categories – persons in possession of NVQ or SVQ; or persons enrolled for and studying them.

What Types of NVQ or SVQ for Construction are there?

There are almost as many NVQ and SVQ courses for construction as there are building trades. You can do an NVQ in Domestic Natural Gas Maintenance; you can do an SVQ in Pavement Construction, or Structural Concreting, or General Construction; and you can do an NVQ in Network Construction Operations. These are only examples. With very few exceptions there is a full NVQ or SVQ level course to qualify you in all the trades you will find associated with the construction industry.

You will usually study the NVQ or SVQ at your local college. If you are an apprentice it is common for your employer to include the Level 1 NVQ or SVQ as part of your learning. If you are interested in attaining NVQ or SVQ for construction and don’t know where to start you can talk to one of our booking agents. The Construction Support Line team is here to advise you on the qualifications you need in order to get the right CSCS Card.

What NVQ or SVQ in Construction Level do I Need?

The level of the Construction NVQ or SVQ that you need to attain for each CSCS Card depends on your job. The Levels of qualification are aimed at different grades of construction employment. For entry level employment, apprenticeship and general site operative cards, you will need to achieve or be studying NVQ or SVQ Level 1. To start moving into skilled cards, you need to achieve or be studying for NVQ or SVQ Levels 2 or 3. Management, Supervisory and Technician roles require NVQ or SVQ Level 4 or higher.

Construction NVQWhere you have plenty of experience but have not yet had the chance to study the NVQ or SVQ in construction, the CSCS Card scheme allows you to apply for certain cards whilst studying for your qualifications.

Posted under , , ,
Please fill in the information below and one of our advisors will call you shortly.