Looking to call
our phone number?

Sales: 0800 012 4125

We can call you back

Support: 0845 557 7427

Existing Client Login

Why don't we show our phone number?

Our aim is to give you the lowest possible prices for your booking. We don't have expensive call centres so we can pass on these savings to you.

Book online quickly and easily

Our online booking system is quick, simple and easy to understand.

CSCS Test & Card Booking

Group Booking (3 or more people)

Apply for a Construction NVQ

How can we contact you?

You can contact us by sending an email to support@constructionsupport.co.uk, or you can contact us. Existing clients can call 0845 557 7427 for customer support enquiries.

We will call you back

x Close
Your Name:
Phone Number:
Department: Call Me Back >>
Thank you, a member of the support staff will be calling you shortly.


x Close

This site uses cookies. We have already set cookies which are essential for the operation of this site.

Cookies are small files that get saved to your computer from our website.They help us identify your browser's previous activity and preferences on our website without identifying you personally.

This allows us to improve your user experience while maintaining your own privacy.

Health & Safety Test Every person wishing to work on a construction site in the UK needs to pass a health and safety test. Passing is also necessary to apply for a skill card such as a CSCS card.
Book Health & Safety Test…
CSCS, JIB Cards Required by most construction sites, skill cards show your qualifications skills, and health & safety test pass.
Apply or Renew Your Card…
Construction NVQ Get your NVQ while at work with our on-site NVQ assessment. A qualified assessor will come to your workplace to assess you.
Book NVQ Assessment…
Free Mock CSCS Test We are offering a completely free mock CSCS Test at our South East London offices. Test you health and safety knowledge in exam conditions for free!
Book your Mock CSCS Test…

Working Construction Skills: Types of Apprenticeships

Construction NVQThere are two basic types of apprenticeships open to people looking to learn the construction skills they need in order to work in the industry.

Broadly referred to as traditional and specialist apprenticeships, there’s actually very little difference between them in terms of what you will be asked to do.

The only difference is one of definition. A traditional apprenticeship follows the normal pattern of college learning and on the job training combined; while a specialist apprenticeship is arranged with independent training outfits or trade associations, where there is no comparable college course that can be married with the trade in question.

A Traditional Construction Apprenticeship

A traditional construction apprenticeship mixes college study with a long period of on the job training. On average, a traditional apprentice can expect to qualify into his or her trade after three years in the UK (it’s four years in Scotland though). The apprenticeship involves qualifying for the relevant Construction NVQ (or SVQ, in Scotland), which in turn makes you eligible to receive the appropriate industry card: a CSCS Card for most trades, or its equivalent in independently regulated trades. Electrotechnical; plumbing and mechanical engineering; HVAC; and hazardous waste removal all have their own CSCS cards, which are used as CSCS equivalents for getting onto a building site.

A Specialist Construction Apprenticeship

A specialised construction apprenticeship can be applicable where your trade has no NVQ equivalent and you can’t learn for it at college. You can arrange a different route with your employer, whereby most of your specialist training is done on the job. A qualified person will measure your on the job skills according to a framework that allows you to qualify with a Construction NVQ equivalent.

CSCS Cards will be issued to apprentices who have achieved a Construction  NVQ equivalent, as though they had achieved the correct level of NVQ directly. In most cases your chosen trade will have NVQ course modules available for it. If you have any questions regarding the correct apprenticeship route for the trade you have chosen you should ask your employer. He or she has been through the route himself or herself already and is well placed to answer your questions.

Where to Attend Construction NVQs or SVQs

In Scotland you will need to achieve the correct SVQ; in the rest of the UK it’s the correct Construction NVQ. Either way you need somewhere to take your college classes if you are going to complete the theory and exams side of your industry qualification. Fortunately, there are plenty of colleges all over the country that provide Construction NVQ courses in the construction skills you need. You’ll find that many standard colleges provide Construction NVQ; as do industry specific training centres. Your employer may even have recommendations for a college that he or she has seen apprentices come through in the past.

CSCS CardsYou’ll need to get hold of a CSCS Card to work with your employer onsite, while you are training for your construction apprenticeship. Talk to Construction Support Line about booking your CSCS Test.

Posted under , ,
Please fill in the information below and one of our advisors will call you shortly.