Looking to call
our phone number?

Sales: 0800 012 4125

We can call you back

Support: 0845 557 7427

Existing Client Login

Why don't we show our phone number?

Our aim is to give you the lowest possible prices for your booking. We don't have expensive call centres so we can pass on these savings to you.

Book online quickly and easily

Our online booking system is quick, simple and easy to understand.

CSCS Test & Card Booking

Group Booking (3 or more people)

Apply for a Construction NVQ

How can we contact you?

You can contact us by sending an email to support@constructionsupport.co.uk, or you can contact us. Existing clients can call 0845 557 7427 for customer support enquiries.

We will call you back

x Close
Your Name:
Phone Number:
Department: Call Me Back >>
Thank you, a member of the support staff will be calling you shortly.


x Close

This site uses cookies. We have already set cookies which are essential for the operation of this site.

Cookies are small files that get saved to your computer from our website.They help us identify your browser's previous activity and preferences on our website without identifying you personally.

This allows us to improve your user experience while maintaining your own privacy.

Health & Safety Test Every person wishing to work on a construction site in the UK needs to pass a health and safety test. Passing is also necessary to apply for a skill card such as a CSCS card.
Book Health & Safety Test…
CSCS, JIB Cards Required by most construction sites, skill cards show your qualifications skills, and health & safety test pass.
Apply or Renew Your Card…
Construction NVQ Get your NVQ while at work with our on-site NVQ assessment. A qualified assessor will come to your workplace to assess you.
Book NVQ Assessment…
Free Mock CSCS Test We are offering a completely free mock CSCS Test at our South East London offices. Test you health and safety knowledge in exam conditions for free!
Book your Mock CSCS Test…

What You Need to Work in Construction

How to find work in construction It’s still possible to walk into a labouring job in the construction industry and go from there. Even labourers need a CSCS Card these days, though – and that means passing a basic Operative level CSCS Health and Safety Test. For everyday site work with no skilled trade, your bare minimum requirement for getting work in over 80% of the UK’s construction sites is a Green CSCS Smart Card.

If you are looking to take up a skilled trade (most of the trades in the construction industry, and there are over 350 of those, are skilled), you will need to get the right training. The industry standard way to get recognised training in any skilled construction profession is through the NVQ or SVQ schemes, the Levels of which translate to varying levels of colour coded skill cards awarded by CSCS.

Becoming an Apprentice

The best way to get started in any skilled trade is by becoming an apprentice. Traditionally the way to become an apprentice in any skilled construction trade is to ask – to find a company that works in that trade and ask if they would like to take on an apprentice. Plenty of companies willing to take on apprentices will also be willing to give you the time off you will need to complete your NVQ or SVQ.

Make sure you have apprenticeship papers when you are learning your trade. They will show that you are training in your profession: and you will need them to support an application for the relevant CSCS Card.

Preparing for Your Trade

The better prepared you are, the more you will learn. There is no substitute for on the job training in construction – but preparation makes the difference between that training going in and sticking, and going in one ear and out the other. If you have studied joinery, even if it is only in books, then you will already understand the terms that are being used when your employers are training you.

The one piece of preparation you cannot be without is a passing grade in an industry recognised health, safety & environment test. You won’t be allowed onto a construction site without proof that you have passed such a test, which is what your first CSCS Card is for (usually a Red Trainee Card). The test itself can be prepared for by purchasing revision materials from Construction Support Line. Your NVQ or SVQ will also cover basic health and safety for the trade you have chosen.

Ask Questions and You’ll Learn Faster

No employer likes a silent apprentice. The one thing you need in order to work in construction, above all other things (even qualifications and health and safety passes won’t help you much if you don’t have this) is enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. A skilled profession is only enjoyable when you are enthusiastic about it. You have to be able to ask what things are, and why things are done, if you are going to build the kind of relationship with your employer that brings you the job satisfaction, and the work, that you are looking for.

Posted under , , , ,
Please fill in the information below and one of our advisors will call you shortly.