The Basic Skills Green Card is Retiring

CSCS announced earlier this year that the basic skills green card is being retired, and therefore there will be no new applications or renewals. While this may seem a little alarming at first, there are plenty of options for new applications, as well as renewals. So, why is the card being retired, when is it happening, and what are your options when you go to apply or renew? In this article, we take you through all of it.

What is Happening to the Basic Skills Green Card?

This year, CSCS will be retiring the basic skills green card. This means that you will not be able to apply for a new one, and that they will also be stopping renewals later in the year. The reason for this is that the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) have noted that the training qualifications that have been accepted previously for this card are not actually in line with the requirements set by the CLC.

When is it Happening?

From September 3rd, 2018, CSCS will no longer be accepting new applications for a basic skills green card. Of course, that date has already passed, and so if this is the card, you would have needed it is best to check out the next section for more information on what to do next.

If you need to renew your basic skills green card, CSCS will be taking renewals until December 3rd, 2018. This means that you still have time to go through the regular renewals process for the next few months. Once that time passes, however, you will need to apply for a new type of card. Further details for this can be found in the next section.

What Does it Mean for You?

When your card runs out and needs to be renewed, you will have to make a new application for a different type of CSCS card. There are actually four paths you can take to get back on track and find the next card for you.

  1. Green Labourer Card. If you are looking to apply for this card, then there are a few requirements you will have to fulfil. You will need to have the QCF level 1/SCQF level 4 health and safety in construction qualification, as well as have passed the CITB HSE test within the last two years.
  2. Skilled Card. If you already hold recognised technical qualifications, then this blue card is the easiest one to apply for. It is also suitable for those with academic qualification certificates as well as if you have proof of CSCS membership.
  3. Apprenticeship Card. If the above options are not suited to you, there is an apprenticeship card available. You can register as an apprentice within your chosen trade and then take the CITB HSE test (in order to be valid, it must have been taken within the last two years).
  4. Trainee/Experienced Worker Card. This allows you to get a level 2 or 3 NVQ/SVQ if you do not have one already – therefore allowing you to fit in with the CLC requirements. Once again, you must have a valid CITB HSE test, and you can apply for the card when you register for the NVQ/SVQ.

To Conclude

Hopefully, this has given you more insight into what will be happening and the ways in which you can move forward with new applications and renewals. It may seem a little daunting at first, but each option and process is very simple, so you should find yourself back into the swing of things in no time at all.

Please follow and like us:


This site uses cookies. We have already set cookies which are essential for the operation of this site.

Cookies are small files that get saved to your computer from our website.They help us identify your browser's previous activity and preferences on our website without identifying you personally.

This allows us to improve your user experience while maintaining your own privacy.