Why You Should Get a Dry Lining NVQ

If you want to work in the dry lining business, one of the things that you will need is a CSCS Card. One of the requirements for getting a CSCS Card is a Dry Lining NVQ.

dry lining nvq

Why do I need a CSCS Card?

A valid CSCS Card is required before you can work on around 80% of construction sites in the UK and virtually all of the major construction sites in the UK require that workers have a CSCS Card. The Major Constructors Group (which consists of a number of national developers and contractors) and the Major House Builders Group both insist on CSCS Cards.

Without a valid CSCS Card you will find it difficult to get work on construction sites in the UK because most employers will insist that you have one before they will allow you on site. The CSCS Card demonstrates that you are competent and understand current health and safety legislation and practice.

How does a Dry Lining NVQ help me?

To get the CSCS Card that you will need if you want to work on a construction site, you will need to pass a Dry Lining NVQ. Once you have done that, you will also need to pass the Health, Safety & Environment Test.

There are a number of different Dry Lining NVQ levels that you can take, and the higher levels of Dry Lining NVQ give you access to higher level CSCS Cards. These open up further opportunities to you because they entitle you to carry out a wider range of construction tasks.

What types of cards are available?

The different types of CSCS Cards available are:

  • Green Dry Lining CSCS Card for construction site operatives (requires a Level One Dry Lining NVQ)
  • Blue Dry Lining CSCS Card for skilled dry liners (requires a Level Two Dry Lining NVQ)
  • Gold Dry Lining CSCS Card for supervisors (requires a Level Three Dry Lining NVQ)
  • Black Dry Lining CSCS Card for people in managerial roles (requires a Level Four Dry Lining NVQ or higher)

A Red Dry Lining CSCS Card is also available for people who do not currently have a Dry Lining NVQ but are in the process of gaining the qualification. The Red Dry Lining CSCS Card lasts for one year.

How do I get a Dry Lining NVQ?

A Dry Lining NVQ can be obtained via work-based assessment. This is called On Site Assessment and Training (OSAT).

Doing it this way means that you do not need to take time off work to get the qualification, as you are assessed while you work by a qualified Dry Lining expert. This in turn reduces the cost of gaining the Dry Lining NVQ qualification because you do not lose wages while you are becoming qualified.

The work-based assessment involves a number of mandatory units that you need to pass. In addition, you must also pass at least one optional unit.

The amount of time it takes to get a Dry Lining NVQ depends on the level of NVQ that you are applying for. It will also depend on your current skill level.

image source: flickr

Please follow and like us:


This site uses cookies. We have already set cookies which are essential for the operation of this site.

Cookies are small files that get saved to your computer from our website.They help us identify your browser's previous activity and preferences on our website without identifying you personally.

This allows us to improve your user experience while maintaining your own privacy.